When looking through my survey responses I had a lot of people answer with 50s to the following question: When you think of vintage clothing what era would come first to mind?
So to continue with my 3d dresses I decided to try and make a more life size model as I have already experimented with smaller scale models.
I started with using cling film to cover a model to protect from the paper and glue I would be putting onto this model.
Then I used a PVA glue and water mix and glued on strips of encyclopaedia paper from an old book. I had to do lots of layers to make this sturdy.
To make the skirt I started with a metal frame. I made 5 wire circles and used the spot welder to put them in a condescending order to make a skirt shape. I then covered this with chicken wire. I looked into using mesh but this worked out very expensive for the amount of mesh I needed so chicken wire was a cheaper alternative that worked just as well. I found it quite difficult to get round the skirt shape as it wasn’t very flexible and was quite sharp but I managed and was happy with the outcome.
I then covered the frame with cling film, this made the skirt less sharp and gave it a better shape and worked as a base for the paper to stick to. I covered the skirt in a layer of paper and PVA glue and left to dry.
I then began to cut triangle shapes from the paper using the guillotine. each of the triangles was glued on piece by piece in order so the triangles overlapped each other. It was very time consuming but the process definitely made the skirt look a lot better and I was very pleased with how this turned out.
I then cut off the bodice from the model using a scalpel up the back. I slowly peeled the bodice off the model and took off the cling film. I was surprised at how sturdy the bodice turned out.
I then used an eyeleteer to add metal holes to the back of my dress so it could be tied up like a corset when finished.
I also used the eyeleteer to connect the skirt to the bodice. I made a few holes around the bottom of the bodice and top of the skirt. I then sewed each of these holes to together with white thread to keep the bodice connected to the skirt.
To cover the holes around the middle of the dress I covered with another layer of paper triangles.
I then used a white ribbon to tie up the back of the corset. I felt this looked very decorative and finished the piece of work to an acceptable standard.
I am extremely pleased with how the dress has turned out. It was hard work and there were problems to solve but it was very rewarding to see the final outcome.